Okay, Barney Fife is a nuisance. He takes his job over-seriously, and annoys people. He's loud. He whines. He constantly gets Andy in situations.Yet...what makes him the co-star of the Andy Griffith Show? He sort of...evens Andy out. He can totally 'Nip it in the bud' (hee hee). Even though he doesn't often show it, he cares about Andy, Opie, and Aunt Bee. And he is willing to risk his life for his friends.
- He is devoted to the law. Which is completely if not ridiculously obvious. After all, you have to have a good law man around when 'Jaywalking is Rampant!'.
- He's musical. That's right, folks.
- He gives advice. Barney Fife: Boy, giraffes are selfish
Barney Fife: Well, I guess to sum it up, you could say, there's three reasons why there's so little crime in Mayberry. There's Andy, and there's me, and
Barney Fife: baby makes three.
Barney Fife: What's the matter, haven't you ever seen a man take off a dress before?
- He says it straight
Barney Fife: No more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!!!
- Thelma Lou is his girl, Andy is his friend, Aunt Bee is his adopted Aunt, and Opie is his young friend.
- He almost never has a dull moment. And, he thinks can teach you how to shoot a gun.
Can you think of any more reasons to like Barney Fife?